A dent in your garage door is like a crack in the wall of your house. Both appear harmless until they cause significant issues and expensive repairs. Minor dents in your garage door can be repaired by sanding and patching. However, larger dents, such as when your vehicle backs into it, are likely to require the services of a Muskegon garage door repair expert.
In this article, we’ll go through the steps on how to repair a dent in a garage door on your own and when to call in the pros.
- Importance of Garage Door Maintenance
- Reasons Why Garage Door Can Get Dented
- Materials and Tools Needed
- Step-by-Step Process of Repairing a Dent in a Garage Door
Importance of Garage Door Maintenance
Garage doors do the same thing over and over again: they go up and down. While this function seems very easy, garage doors serve essential purposes. In the same way we tend our gardens and keep our houses clean, regular maintenance for your garage doors is also necessary. Maintaining your garage doors has several advantages:
Let a Muskegon garage door repair specialist handle your maintenance at least twice a year. These experts can spot even the most minor problems early on before leading to more extensive and costly repairs.
Reasons Why Garage Door Can Get Dented
Many things can cause a dent in your garage door. Human error, mishaps, and even nature can result in dents. Here are some common causes of garage door dents:
- Materials. Aluminum or steel garage doors are durable against weathering but can dent easily.
- Vehicles. Your garage door may be damaged by the car it protects. Dents can result from improper backing, driving through the garage door before it’s fully open, or parking too close.
- Flying objects. A frisbee, baseball, or other object thrown nearby can damage your garage door.
- Weather. Hail, snow, and water are often the typical weather causes of garage door dents. Extreme heat can also buckle sheet metal, especially thin metal doors.
Materials and Tools Needed
Before starting, gather the following materials and tools:
- Soapy water for cleaning
- Soft scrub
- Abrasive pad or sandpaper
- Body filler
- Wooden block
- Scrap cardboard
- Paint (matching color)
- Safety goggles
- Putty knife
Step-by-Step Process of Repairing a Dent in a Garage Door
To get started on your project, here are some easy-to-follow steps on how to repair a dent in a garage door.
- Start by washing your garage doors using warm soapy water to find more dents. Wash the dents thoroughly to remove accumulated grime and dirt. Then, wipe the doors with rags and let them dry completely.
- Give the dent a light sanding to smoothen the edges.
- Put a wooden block over the dent’s protruding parts and hammer the dent down a bit.
Applying the Body Filler
A body filler, or a “putty,” is a polyester resin with a cream hardener that smooths and repairs surfaces.
- Mix body filler and hardener on a piece of scrap cardboard according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spread the filler over the area and smooth it with a putty knife.
- Allow it to dry entirely before smoothing the rough edges with an abrasive pad.
Painting the Garage Door
To conceal the repair, you can paint the area the same color as your garage door or paint the entire garage door for a fresh look. Always remember to learn how to paint metal garage doors and use the correct paint and primer for metal surfaces.
Safety Precautions to Follow
- Always disconnect the power before starting when working with an electric garage door. Review the manual and familiarize yourself with the manufacturer’s safety warnings and precautions.
- Keep yourself protected by wearing safety gloves and goggles.
- Since you’ll be handling paints and chemical substances, ensure the area is well-ventilated and follow manufacturers’ safety instructions.
- Keep kids and pets away from your working area.
Let Experts Handle Your Muskegon Garage Door Repair
Dents are more than an eyesore. Like a ceiling leak that begins as a drip, dents may appear insignificant and easy to overlook. However, it would be best to deal with it before it’s too late. Show your garage doors some care, and they will reward you with better performance and a prolonged lifespan, saving you money on repairs. Trust us at Shepherd Shoreline to provide the best service possible. Reach us at (231) 780-2847 or here for a free consultation.