Grand Haven is known for its serene beaches and a picturesque boardwalk with restaurants and shops. But living near a lake or beach entails high humidity, especially in summer. High humidity can cause mold, mildew, and moisture buildup, which can damage your garage door. Learn more about garage door maintenance from our Grand Haven garage door professionals.
- Effects of Humid Environments
- Grand Haven Garage Door Maintenance Tips
- Choose the Right Materials
- Seek Professional Assistance
Effects of Humid Environments
Humidity can negatively affect garage doors. For instance, wood can swell and warp due to high humidity levels. In effect, you might experience difficulty opening and closing your wooden garage door. Its shape can also become uneven due to wood warping.
On the other hand, metals may corrode faster in humid conditions. As a result, rust may develop on your door, reducing its functionality and lifespan. Rust can also cause sticky doors, which makes it tough to open.
Grand Haven Garage Door Maintenance Tips
Maintaining a garage door effectively involves conducting routine inspections, cleaning, and lubrication, as well as implementing measures to control moisture.
Follow these instructions to ensure the durability of your garage door:
- Examine the door’s panels for dents, cracks, or signs of wear and tear.
- Check the weatherstripping for damage. Weatherstripping maintains your door’s stability while preventing moisture infiltration.
- Test the door’s balance by disconnecting the opener from the garage door. Manually open the door and lift it around four feet off the ground. If it’s balanced, it should stay in place once you release the door.
- Inspect springs, cables, and rollers for signs of wear, fraying, or rust.
- Check if hinges and rollers have adequate lubrication to ensure smooth operation.
- Examine the opener for any unusual noises or malfunctions.
- Test safety features like the auto-reverse mechanism, pinch-resistant panels, and photo eyes.
Cleaning and Lubrication
Aside from performing routine inspections, you should also clean and lubricate your garage door. Here’s how:
- Remove debris from the tracks and rollers using a damp cloth.
- Inspect for any rust or corrosion and remove it with a wire brush.
- To reduce friction, apply a silicone-based or lithium-based lubricant to the rollers, hinges, springs, and opener’s chain or belt. Silicone sprays provide an easier application and better moisture resistance.
- Avoid using grease because it can attract more dirt and debris.
- Wipe down the door’s exterior with a gentle detergent to remove grime.
Professionals advise cleaning and lubricating your Grand Haven garage door every six months.
Moisture Control Measures
Here are moisture control measures you can do to maintain a dry and comfortable environment in your garage:
- Seal gaps in the door frame with weatherstripping to regulate temperature and prevent water intrusion.
- Ensure proper ventilation inside the garage by installing a ceiling fan, putting in exhaust vents, or using a dehumidifier.
- Apply a water-resistant sealant or paint to wooden doors to create a moisture barrier. You can also apply oil or wax to your steel doors using a non-abrasive cloth.
- Install gutters and downspouts to stop rainwater from seeping into the garage.
- Clean the area around the door and remove debris or vegetation since they can trap moisture.
Choose the Right Materials
If you live in Grand Haven, which has high humidity due to the lakes and beaches, you should consider using steel, fiberglass, or vinyl for your garage door.
Steel garage doors are durable and resistant to moisture and rust. It also requires little maintenance while providing extra protection for your property due to its heavy weight. Moreover, steel doors are cost-effective and energy-efficient. They also offer versatility since you can customize them to fit your preferences.
Likewise, fiberglass garage doors are highly resistant to corrosion. Hence, people living in coastal areas often choose fiberglass for their garage doors. Fiberglass also resists warping, cracking, and shrinking to ensure long-term durability. It’s also lightweight and low maintenance. The insulation options even encourage energy efficiency and provide quiet operation.
Vinyl doors also resist moisture and dents. Moreover, they come with insulation to protect your garage from harsh temperatures. Like steel and fiberglass, this material is lightweight, durable, and available in various styles. In addition, its cost-effectiveness makes it a practical option for property owners.
Seek Professional Assistance
The climate in Grand Haven provides the perfect setting for tranquil beach strolls, lighthouse visits, and the unforgettable experience of attending the renowned Coast Guard Festival. However, the high humidity levels in this area can lead to corrosion or warping of your garage door. Let Shepherd Shoreline help you with your garage door maintenance, preserving your garage door to withstand the unique climate of Grand Haven. Contact us at (231) 780-2847 or reach us here.